Really, this is such a perfect position for any librarian who has managed a library where Web of Knowledge, and it's business-related products, was part of the suite of online services offered.
IMHO, that would be **many** of us... at least those of us who were involved in putting end-user accessible online information services together, 'round about ten years ago.
With so many "free" alternatives encroaching on it's traditional end-user market, WoK is in trouble now, and needs our input. I hope a librarian gets this position. - alt-lib
Strategic Marketing Manager, Business of Science Job
Title: Strategic Marketing Manager, Business of Science
Strategic Marketing Manager, Business of Science
The Research Analytics market served by Thomson Reuters is comprised of research-oriented universities, private research institutes, publishing, and funding organizations and the researchers and administrators within. Collectively, these participants operate in an ecosystem of creators, consumers, and evaluators of research outputs in the form of articles, books, conference papers, patents, datasets, among other forms, which generate economic and social benefits for the global community. The Research Analytics products and services from Thomson Reuters advance the research mission of these participants by measuring impact, benchmarking, predicting, and exposing connections and relationships.
The Strategic Marketing Manager is responsible for supporting the go-to-market strategy of specific product lines, including the product positioning, target customer, and overall sales strategy. This individual also serves as the primary internal and external "product evangelist" sometimes presenting to key customer buyers within the sales channel, in conjunction with the Senior Strategic Marketing Manager.
This position includes supporting the Senior Strategic Marketing Manager in the development of the strategy for launch planning, go-to-market programs, and sales readiness as well as overall results-focused execution.
This position will be supporting named existing and new products within the classification of Business of Science.
In addition, this role will support Senior Strategic Marketing Manager by contributing additional market understanding and insights that can feed all aspects of product innovation and business strategy. This includes support on various market analysis initiatives, review of product roadmaps and review of business cases.
The role will closely liaise with Product Management Leads who are responsible for directing technical investment.
Strategic customer relationships and heavy customer exposure is also a priority. Additional key support will be provided to the Strategic Marketing organization by Market Intelligence, Market Research, and Global Marketing Service Organizations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Identify and develop or more sustainable competitive advantages the Business of Science has within the markets it serves.
2. Understand key assets and differentiators of SSR products in context of industry trends and competitive landscape.
3. Identify and prioritize target market segments, develop positioning, ROI/value statements, pricing, and other go to market design aspects.
4. Define buyer personas involved in the purchasing process in order to align marketing strategy.
5. Define product positioning to develop go-to-market strategy and external messaging.
6. Define User personas.
7. Lead and participate in shaping the go-to-market strategy that will deliver customer growth whilst preserving and retaining existing customer base; translate strategy into clear objectives and marketing initiatives.
8. Oversee internal launch, and ensure interdepartmental readiness. Create excitement and focus on critical launches.
9. Provide analytical support to pricing issues.
10. Define the marketing plan commercial goals, and create the marketing plan in collaboration with Product Marketing including methods for customer acquisition as well as customer retention
11. Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal partners, including Finance, Product Management and sales.
12. Own and prioritize marketing spend across the assigned portfolio, geographies and marketing programs including exhibition prioritization.
13. Ensure marketing program design and execution is aligned with strategic goals.
14. Identify and coordinate opportunities to leverage customer testimonial and case studies.
15. Monitor program status and effectiveness. Identify and drive actions to maximize product success.
At Thomson Reuters, we deliver intelligent information quickly and efficiently, so professionals have knowledge to act. We combine industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision makers in the financial, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and scientific, healthcare, and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor's Degree along with 3-5 years of Marketing Experience in a Business to Business, Academic, or Government Funding Environment.
- Experience in supporting university administration or government funding agencies preferred.
- Experience in product management or product marketing role which includes setting sales and marketing strategy of products or services sold to the academic and government market.
- Experience in monitoring commercial success of a newly launched or established product.
- Experience rationalizing and prioritizing marketing program spend.
- Strong customer orientation.
- Strong facilitation skills.
- Strong program management skills.
- Excellent oral and written English communications.
- Well organized and disciplined with regards to policy, procedure and standards.
Primary Location: US-PA-Philadelphia
Organization: Prof Science - ALL
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 10% of the time