yowsie! this is a very interesting job:
Philadelphia Digital Research Analyst-Physical Sciences Job - PA, 19019
Digital Research Analyst-Physical Sciences Job
Date: Mar 29, 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA, US
Title: Digital Research Analyst-Physical Sciences
Digital Research Analyst-Physical Sciences
The Digital Research Analyst-Physical Sciences will be responsible for the identification and analysis of non traditional digital scholarly output (non-journal /book) in the physical sciences and related disciplines, which will be used in creating new content for inclusion in the Data Citation Index on Web of Knowledge. The individual will serve as an in-house editorial resource for digital research, with a major focus on collection development, analysis, cataloging, and content mapping/processing. The individual will assist in resource type identification, metadata processing/entry and the development and application of metadata standards. The individual may be required to serve on cross-functional committees, and be responsible for preparing policy documentation and presentations relating to scholarly digital research.
- To identify, evaluate, analyze, and process digital resources (including data sets, images, and videos etc.) to enhance Web of Knowledge, Scientific WebPlus and other web based browse/discovery offerings.
- To write technical specifications for data parsing and reformatting algorithms.
- To establish policies for digital content collection development in close liaison with the Editorial team, including the development of computer aided entity extraction and semantic analysis processes to gather metadata, and development of appropriate vocabularies, thesauri etc. as a categorization framework.
- To facilitate the development and application of metadata standards for resource type identification and metadata extraction.
- To liaise with digital content community and repositories to facilitate inclusion through obtaining linking permissions/APIs etc.
- To participate in digital content-related research and product development for Scientific WebPlus.
- To prepare documentation, reports and presentations.
- Up to 15% travel required for training and community liaison-some international
At Thomson Reuters, we deliver intelligent information quickly and efficiently, so professionals have knowledge to act. We combine industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision makers in the financial, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and scientific, healthcare, and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
About the IP & Science Business of Thomson Reuters
The IP & Science business is a global provider of information solutions to assist professionals at every stage of research and development and ensure they maintain and extract maximum value from their intellectual assets.
IP & Science is part of Thomson Reuters (www.thomsonreuters.com), the world's leading source of intelligent information for businesses and professionals. Scientific information solutions can be found at thomsonreuters.com.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Solid understanding of digital resources in the physical sciences, including astronomy/astrophysics, earth sciences, physics etc.
- Good understanding of databases, ability to interpret data structure from XML and other formats.
- Evidence of a good understanding of research workflows and use of online resources, tools and databases in physical sciences.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, initiate, and implement effective programs, projects, and services.
- Good organizational skills, cataloguing experience.
- Intermediate Experience in Microsoft Office applications and database applications.
- Awareness/understanding of electronic literature databases.
- A self-starter and good team player with the ability to work on own initiative.
- Well disciplined with regards policy, procedure and standards.
- Excellent interpersonal, collaborative, and oral/written communication skills.
- Able to set priorities and be flexible in a changing environment.
- A working knowledge of Microsoft office applications and relational databases.
- Some experience/knowledge of librarianship or information science would be an advantage.
- Ability to specify technical processes required to process data.
- Working knowledge of one or more major descriptive metadata standards (e.g., Dublin Core, SMIL, METS, XML, etc.).
- Familiarity with bibliographic policies and best practices.
- Some knowledge of relevant digital library standards, including EAD, TEI, SGML, HTML, XML.
- Knowledge of relevant Internet delivery technologies, including relational databases, TCP/IP, WEB 2.0 etc.
- Participation in or knowledge of key digital research initiatives in the life sciences and genomics at the regional, national, and international level.
- Bachelors degree in a scientific discipline (astronomy, physics, earthscience, astrophysics)
- Masters, PhD or suitable research experience in using digital resources in research work strongly desired.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 55,000 colleagues in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, gender, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the H-1B visa cap has been met for the 2012 fiscal year (October 1, 2011-September 30, 2012).
Primary Location: US-PA-Philadelphia
Organization: Prof Science - ALL
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (±16 years)
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job