IMHO, that would be **many** of us... at least those of us who were involved in putting end-user accessible online information services together, 'round about ten years ago.
With so many "free" alternatives encroaching on it's traditional end-user market, WoK is in trouble now, and needs our input. I hope a librarian gets this position. - alt-lib
Philadelphia Product Manager, Web of Knowledge Job - PA, 19019
Product Manager, Web of Knowledge Job
Title: Product Manager, Web of Knowledge
Manager, Platform Production
Main Purpose of Job:
The Scientific & Scholarly Research business of IP & Science provides research and analytic solutions, including Web of Knowledge (WoK), the "gold standard" citation database and search platform, that help scientists and researchers find, analyze, and leverage authoritative scholarly content. Customers include universities, academic and governmental research institutions, scholars and researchers, publishers, and university faculty and administrators.
The Product Manager is responsible for identifying the future roadmap of our Search & Discovery platform, balancing market opportunity and competitive risks. The primary responsibility is to understand the market and represent these market needs across the organization - typically in the form of product positioning, product features and high-level product requirements. The Product Manager is accountable for product ROI and must coordinate a cross-functional team to identify specific investment prioritization recommendations which optimize limited resources to maximize revenue and customer satisfaction. A Product Manager is generally responsible for a functional area over a lifecycle, including recommendations for new products as well as sunset of existing products.
The Product Manager is responsible for existing and named new products within this classification. The term "product" includes solutions containing services as well as content and software wherever that product can be sold on a repeating basis
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Understand current users, buyers and evaluators to discover market problems and needs in order to translate implications to technical innovations that will grow market share.
2. Encourage sales, customer, prospect and user feedback. Establish a continuous dialogue with customers and other intelligence about the market segment.
3. Understand and develop the distinctive competence of the organisations unique abilities to deliver value to the market in the context of industry trends and competitive landscape.
4. Illustrate, drive and own the vision and key phases of the product roadmap, ensuring prioritisation of product development investments, leveraging customer and user feedback and analysis to direct prioritisation of enhancements to support customer satisfaction, increased usage and other business goals.
5. Integrate products into a coherent portfolio of products focused on the market. Develop business plans, positioning documentation, buying process, market requirements and marketing plan in order to drive future investment decisions.
6. Work in collaboration with Strategic Marketing to develop go-to-market strategies to ensure customer acquisition, customer retention and product profitability.
7. Create product assessments and SWOT analysis relative to competitors and industry trends.
8. Own and develop the business plan articulating what was learned from the market and quantifying the risk, including a financial model.
9. Review or contribute to functional specification, requirements, prototypes and early product versions to ensure ability to meet market goals and obtain customer acceptance.
10. Assess outcome of new product releases and report to senior management.
11. Identify the most effective way to deliver a complete solution to meet the markets needs, including partnership opportunities and maintain effective relationships in order to drive future growth.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor's Degree with a minimum of 3 years professional work experience in a business to business product environment.
- A strong technical background and experience in working with technology.
- A strong understanding of professional information needs, and the value drivers for end-users and purchasers.
- Experience in discovering unmet needs in a particular market and proposing innovative solutions, using pragmatic marketing or similar practices.
- Excellent consensus building and facilitation skills.
- Ability to collaborate in a matrixed environment.
- Significant experience in writing and presenting business plans in order to gain investment.
- Ability to prioritize and rationalize product investments in order to drive growth.
- Strong financial and business acumen.
- Experience in driving and monitoring commercial success of a new product or product release.
- Excellent customer facing skills, ensuring they are 'at the heart of everything' we do.
- Excellent team player.
- Well organized and disciplined with regards to policy, procedures and standards.
Primary Location: US-PA-Philadelphia
Organization: Prof Science - ALL
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job