This blog is intended to capture real-life examples of librarians who have found positions in alternative career paths. It will also be used to recommend job openings found on the web, that are applicable non-traditional library roles.
Specifically, I mean positions that utilize our unique combination of skills in information management, customer service, research/reference/information retrieval, and analysis.
Saturday, January 21, 2012
alt-lib Suggests: Editorial Product Manager, Major Reference Program - Waltham (Boston), MA - Elsevier
Given that the product set is Reference works, why not hire a librarian? "-)
Editorial Product Manager, Major Reference Program-SCI000EG
The Editorial Product Manager, Major Reference Program, is responsible for the strategic planning, content development, overall product development and management, and revenue for a Portfolio of MRWs, or Major Reference Works (Print, Online, and new products) published by the Science and Technology Books group within Elsevier. This includes developing and implementing the strategy for the Portfolio of online MRWs on Elsevier's highly regarded Science Direct platform; backlist, frontlist, and pipeline print and online MRWs; and new online products created from MRW content. This role has significant editorial responsibilities, in particular, to commission Editorial Boards of well known academics and work with these Boards to drive the content strategy. Particular areas of focus may be biomedical research and social and behavioral sciences.
Product management responsibilities include managing the Portfolio of products throughout the product lifecycle, identifying and measuring the market demand, the identification of potential customers and customer segments, staying informed of competing products on the market, develop pricing strategies, and overseeing portfolio product development to position this portfolio for growth in key markets and geographic regions.
Strategic Planning for Portfolio (20%)
· Develop strategic plan for Portfolio, including recommendations for product features and functionalities, positioning, pricing, and roadmap, and strategic partnerships
· Actively lead on new partnerships once approved, ensuring they are aligned to overall strategy and ensuring full stakeholder alignment and communications are in place
· In collaboration with Editorial Board, develop an editorial & content strategic plan for products to meet target market needs
· Communicate strategic plan clearly and persuasively as required, to multiple stakeholders and internal and external collaborators
· Act as the champion and expert within the company for portfolio
Portfolio Management, including managing the entire product line life cycle from strategic planning to tactical activities (40%)
· Develop a detailed understanding of customer, user and market needs to drive portfolio product development
· Overall Project Management responsibility for the day-to-day publishing operations for Portfolio, e.g. managing within agreed upon expense budgets, cost control, and to ensure that both product-related results (invoiced and realized revenue, usage statistics) and market-related results (market share, author/Editor/reviewer feedback, etc) meet agreed targets
· Provide weekly and monthly reports to Publishing Director and to PMO office as required.
· Partner with publishing groups, sales, marketing and support to ensure revenue, profit, and customer satisfaction goals are met
Commission and manage Editorial Boards (20%)
· Create and commission Editorial Boards of well known academics who will be highly motivated and invested in providing management and content expertise for products in portfolio.
· Conduct editorial research to identify potential Board members, including consulting with internal Editorial staff for appropriate candidates & coordinating contact and outreach to maximize S&T Books shared goals; discuss the nature and scope of the project with candidates, decide on which candidates to invite both as Editors in Chief and as Board members. In consultation with Publishing Director, Major Reference Program, determine length of tenure and compensation offers.
· Negotiate contracts with Editorial Board Members to ensure best possible net revenue outcome for Elsevier, and secure signed contracts within timeframe and budget.
· Run annual meetings for Boards within specified budget
· Provide overall management and direction to the editorial boards, ensuring that they accomplish their goals in a timely manner: including top-level review of content, commissioning new content, identifying major gaps in content and recommendations for filling these gaps, reviewing taxonomy/hierarchical structure for products in portfolio
Specifying market requirements for portfolio (10%)
· Proactively monitor developments in the market including the impact of new technologies and changes to customer and user needs
· In consultation with Marketing, develop new business plans and cross selling plans, including quantitative analysis of market conditions, competitive environment and trends
· Develop new pricing models based on market need to meet revenue and profitability goals
· Continually seek customer feedback to achieve high levels of customer satisfaction and identify new opportunities to drive revenues
· Ensure that business requirements reflect the needs of the market and user
Developing and implementing a company-wide go-to-market plan, working with all departments to execute (10%)
· Develop product positioning statements for portfolio products
· Develop sales tools and collateral working alongside Channel marketing Managers
· Brief and train the sales force as required
· Perform product demo's to key customers as required
· Collaborate with Sales and Marketing groups to deliver effective internal and external communication
· BA/BS, MBA or Masters in Science preferred
· At least 5-7 years experience in publishing
· Experience working in book and/or journal publishing
· Experience commissioning and managing external academic Editorial Boards in scientific publishing
· Experience commissioning and publishing Major Reference Works
· Demonstrated success defining and launching products
· Demonstrated success generating and executing project plans
· Demonstrated ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority
· Demonstrated ability to deliver successful new initiatives in a multifunctional and team based environment, within tight deadlines and budget constraints