Again, including the full post below, to stimulate brainstorms of new job search strategies, even after this position has been filled:
Philadelphia Director, Product Strategy Search & Discovery Job - PA, 19019
Director, Product Strategy Search & Discovery Job
Date: Apr 1, 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA, US
Title: Director, Product Strategy Search & Discovery
Director, Product Strategy Search & Discovery
Main Purpose of Job:
The SSR business of IP & Science provides research and analytic solutions, including Web of Knowledge (WoK), the "gold standard" citation database and search platform, that help scientists and researchers find, analyze, and leverage authoritative scholarly content. Customers include universities, academic and governmental research institutions, scholars and researchers, publishers, and university faculty and administrators.
The Director Product Strategy, Search & Discovery is responsible for identifying the future roadmap of our Search & Discovery platform, balancing market opportunity and competitive risks. The primary responsibility is to understand the market and represent these market needs across the organization - typically in the form of product positioning, product features and high-level product requirements. The Director Product Strategy is accountable for product ROI and must coordinate a cross-functional team to identify specific investment prioritization recommendations which optimize limited resources to maximize revenue and customer satisfaction. The Director must understand the market which we serve, the competitive landscape and opportunities to move into new or adjacent markets.
The Director Product Strategy is responsible for existing and named new products within this classification. Current products most relevant to this description include Web of Knowledge. The term "product" includes solutions containing services as well as content and software wherever that product can be sold on a repeating basis
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Understand current users, buyers and evaluators to discover market problems and needs in order to translate implications to technical innovations that will grow market share.
2. Encourage sales, customer, prospect and user feedback. Establish a continuous dialogue with customers and other intelligence about the market segment.
3. Lead a team of Product Managers to deliver on the product roadmap and product development lifecycle.
4. Collaborate with technology and the business analyst team to ensure development is on-track, on-budget and is meeting the needs of the end-user population.
5. Understand and develop the distinctive competence of the organization's unique abilities to deliver value to the market in the context of industry trends and competitive landscape.
6. Illustrate, drive and own the vision and key phases of the product roadmap, ensuring prioritiztionn of product development investments, leveraging customer and user feedback and analysis to direct prioritisation of enhancements to support customer satisfaction, increased usage and other business goals.
7. Integrate products into a coherent portfolio of products focused on the market. Develop business plans, positioning documentation, buying process, market requirements and marketing plan in order to drive future investment decisions.
8. Work in collaboration with Strategic Marketing to develop go-to-market strategies to ensure customer acquisition, customer retention and product profitability.
9. Create product assessments and SWOT analysis relative to competitors and industry trends.
10. Own and develop the business plan articulating what was learned from the market and quantifying the risk, including a financial model.
11. Review or contribute to functional specification, requirements, prototypes and early product versions to ensure ability to meet market goals and obtain customer acceptance.
12. Assess outcome of new product releases and report to senior management.
13. Identify the most effective way to deliver a complete solution to meet the markets needs, including partnership opportunities and maintain effective relationships in order to drive future growth.
At Thomson Reuters, we deliver intelligent information quickly and efficiently, so professionals have knowledge to act. We combine industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision makers in the financial, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and scientific, healthcare, and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
About the IP & Science Business of Thomson Reuters
The IP & Science business is a global provider of information solutions to assist professionals at every stage of research and development and ensure they maintain and extract maximum value from their intellectual assets.
IP & Science is part of Thomson Reuters (www.thomsonreuters.com), the world's leading source of intelligent information for businesses and professionals. Scientific information solutions can be found at thomsonreuters.com.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities-Qualifications:
- Strong product strategy and commercialization skills (strategy and business skills).
- Ability to develop and lead a high-performing product management team (leadership and talent management).
- A thorough understanding of professional information needs, and the value drivers for end-users and purchasers.
- Experience in discovering unmet needs in a particular market and proposing innovative solutions, using Pragmatic Marketing or similar practices.
- Excellent consensus building and facilitation skills.
- Ability to collaborate in a matrixed environment.
- Significant experience in writing and presenting business plans in order to gain investment.
- Ability to prioritize and rationalize product investments in order to drive growth (analytical and financial skills).
- Strong financial and business acumen (business and financial skills).
- Experience in driving and monitoring commercial success of a new product or product release.
- Excellent customer facing skills, ensuring they are at the heart of everything' we do.
- Excellent team player.
- Well organized and disciplined with regards to policy, procedures and standards.
- Customer insight acquisition, interpretation and application.
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 55,000 colleagues in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, gender, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the H-1B visa cap has been met for the 2012 fiscal year (October 1, 2011-September 30, 2012).
Job: Product Management
Primary Location: US-PA-Philadelphia
Organization: Prof Science - ALL
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job